Smart Trips Outreach Coordinator
Make a Difference!
Whatcom Smart Trips is hiring a Community Outreach Coordinator. The person in this position will work with school children, seniors, business partners, community groups and the general public coordinating Smart Trips education and outreach programs. We're looking for someone with excellent communication skills and a passion for walking, bicycling and riding the bus.
A full job description is listed below.
For more information, call 360-756-TRIP (8747).
|Closes:||Monday, November 27 at 4pm|
|Pay Range:||$21 – $26 per hour|
|Work Schedule:||This is a three-quarter time permanent position with benefits. Hours are flexible within standard business hours.|
|How to Apply:||
Send a resume and cover letter describing your background and skills by Monday, 11/27/17 at 4pm to:
Whatcom Smart Trips
|Position:||Smart Trips Community Outreach Coordinator|
|Reports To:||Mobility Programs Director|
|Salary Grade||Planner 1|
Under direction of the Mobility Programs Director, conducts outreach to promote walking, bicycling and riding the bus. Teaches bicycle skills at elementary schools and bus trip planning at middle schools. Presents bus trip planning information to seniors and leads guided bus trips. Provides individualized and group instruction for bicycle and bus transportation for other partners and community groups. Works with Smart Trips team to provide program materials and services. Promotes Smart Trips program and events through social media.
- Conducts outreach with current and prospective community partners.
- Schedules and coordinates annual bicycle skills courses at elementary schools.
- Trains and supervises bike skills teaching team members.
- Provides group bicycle instruction in classes and bike rides.
- Provides one-on-one bicycle training.
- Teaches bus trip planning in 7th grade classrooms.
- Assists in the creation of 7th grade bus education materials.
- Assists with Bike to Work & School Day promotion and activities.
- Maintains Bike to Work & School Day website.
- Assists with Smart Trips summer adventure camps.
- Plans, promotes and leads guided bus trips for seniors.
- Presents bus trip planning information to seniors and other community groups.
- Provides one-on-one bus trip planning.
- Provides individualized travel training for people with mobility challenges.
- Assists in the creation of Smart Trips promotional and educational materials.
- Assists with incentive distribution and customer service for Smart Trips participants.
- Staffs tables at transportation fairs and other marketing events.
- Promotes Smart Trips program and events through social media.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in communication, marketing, education, urban planning, business, or related discipline is preferred; and
- At least two years of general office and computer experience is required; and
- At least one year experience in vehicle trip reduction or other work related to transportation choices (or a combination of education and/or community engagement experience which provides an equivalent background) is required.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to make public presentations to adults and children.
- Ability to prepare effective promotional and educational materials for adults and children.
- Ability to develop and maintain professional relationships to accomplish objectives.
- Strong sense of professional responsibility and leadership capacity.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy.
- Demonstrated commitment to walking, bicycling and transit use.
- Must have experience using a bicycle for transportation. Transit knowledge is preferred.
- Proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet, database management, and visual presentation software is required. Proficiency in social media and graphic design software is preferred.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to plan, facilitate and summarize meetings.
- Ability to maintain detailed records and prepare reports.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly sit, talk, listen, and use hands.
- Frequently stand and walk.
- Ride a bicycle.
- Occasionally reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and lift or move up to 30 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Hearing capacity sufficient to communicate effectively with telephone callers, including those with speech or hearing difficulties of their own.
A background check will be conducted for criminal records.